Since the manufacturers of Zyppah stopped selling it, here’s a better alternative: Breathe Right Nasal Strips. Breathe right is very popular on Amazon. It had received 4+ ratings and over 4500 ratings.
It is said, anti-snoring devices can aid snorers to get a quieter sleep. So, down below you will find our review on Zyppah snoring mouthpiece. Research from the National Institutes of Health sleep study revealed that up to 44% of men and 28% of women are frequent snorers. A separate small percent snore due to obstructive sleep apnea.
Snoring represents the particular noise someone is making when they inhale during sleep. It occurs because of the vibration of the upper airway. Keep in mind that snoring is not labeled as an illness, yet it can be a symptom of several disorders.
Specialists showed that there are 5 distinct types of snoring:
- Nose snoring, which refers to either collapsed nostrils or blocked airways that have as an effective mouth breathing and snoring;
- Mouth snoring, which can be described as having an open mouth position and a relaxed jaw that encourage snoring;
- Tongue snoring, which occurs when the tongue is an impediment on the airway at the back of the mouth;
- Palatal flutterer, which involves the vibration of both the soft palate and the uvula;
- Multifactorial snoring, which can be described as a fusion between all these factors that encourage snoring.
Usually, anti-snoring mouthpieces can be bought with or without a prescription from a medical practitioner. These devices are meant to correct any problems linked with tongue, mouth or multifactorial snoring.
One of those devices is Zyppah. We’ll review this patented anti-snoring device, as it is rather distinct from other sleep-aiding tools. We’ll share insights about the materials used in its design, along with functionality details, price, what can it deal with, what customers believe and, of course, our overall rating for this anti-snoring mouthpiece.
Zyppah – design and functionality
You will find on the market two distinct anti-snoring mouthpieces meant to aid snorers:
- Mandibular Advancement Devices or MAD, which secure the jaw and prevent both the tongue and soft tissue from obstructing breathing;
- Tongue Retaining Device (TRD) or Tongue Stabilizing Device (TSD), which keeps the tongue down in order to prevent it from falling back into the throat.
So, the Zyppah anti-snoring mouthpiece falls into the Mandibular Advancement Device category. It is designed to avert snoring when you are sleeping on your back by impeding the tongue to obstruct your airway. It can aid tongue and multifactorial snoring issues.
The word “mandibular” references to the mandibula of your jawbone. Anti-snoring devices are meant to apply soft pressure on the jawbone and move it a bit forward. Due to the fact that the tongue’s muscle is connected to the lower jaw, it is effective in keeping it from falling back into the airway.
Why is Zyppah a distinct anti-snoring device?
Well, there are diverse MADs available that promise to aid snoring sufferers. But Zyppah is distinct due to its patented tongue elastic. The design of the mouthpiece resembles quite well other MADs, yet at the back of the mouthpiece, you will find a strip of elastic, similar to a rubber band, meant to keep your tongue in place.
Some call it a hybrid anti-snoring mouthpiece, as it is a MAD with a TRD element. The device thrusts the jaw forward and the elastic acts as a safety measure for tongue movement. At the same time, it does not function similarly to a traditional TRD, which has a design inspired by a pacifier.
Placing the Zyppah Mouthpiece
To fit this anti-snoring device, you will have to start by getting some basic materials, such as a mirror ( it is recommended to use a bathroom mirror), a fork or spoon ( made from plastic or metal), a recipient with water ( warmed below the boiling temperature i.e 200oF), paper tissues and a timer.
After you position the Zyppah anti-snoring device, you will have to set it up accordingly to your needs before you can start using it. Follow the next 10-steps to correctly customize it:
- Remove the protective case of the Zyppah device.
- Place the device in the warm water for 30 seconds.
III. Use either the spoon or the fork to keep it underwater.
- Remove it from the water with the tool without touching it with your fingers.
- With the aid of the front side of the elastic, place it into your mouth.
- The part that features the brand`s name should be at the bottom.
VII. Keep it against the bottom teeth for a couple of seconds in order to secure it.
VIII. Move the jaw forward and bite down into the device with upper and lower teeth.
- With the help of the mirror, check to see if you’re biting correctly – keep it up for 10 seconds.
- Detach and rinse it in cool water to “set” the device.
After all these steps, you can use it. Due to the fact that there are no tailoring features included, it is rather crucial to perform these steps correctly. Also, the manufacturer has a YouTube video that reveals how to set it up in order to fit your bite.
Pros and Cons of using Zyppah anti-snoring device
So, to properly review this anti-snoring device, let’s see what are the main advantages and disadvantages underlined by verified customers and our experts. This will make it easier for you to determine whether or not this anti-snoring tool can help you. Thus, let’s see if Zyppah is suitable for dealing with sleep apnea.
- It comes with a hybrid design that moves the jaw and stabilizes the tongue
- It is made out of BPA-free, non-toxic and latex-free compounds
- It leads to improved airflow and breathability
- It was designed by a dentist that specializes in dealing with sleep apnea
- It has personalized fitting, being great for boil-and-bite item
- It can turn out to be less effective for those that have crowns or bridges
- It requires a bit of adjustment to the tongue elastic item
- It can lead to initial jaw soreness until you adjust it
- It can lead to continuous drooling, yet it is a recurrent thing with MADs
- It can require extensive cleaning to improve its lifespan
Is Zyppah recommended for you?
Even though not all devices are suitable for everyone, there are still several customers that had a great experience and impressive results with Zyppah. It is a one-of-a-kind product on the market due to the fact that it is a MAD and TRD hybrid that can turn out to be the best solution for bettering your sleep.
Zyppah can be effective for your situation if:
- Your main issue is related to tongue obstruction
- You are seeking an OTC solution for your sleep apnea
At the same time, Zyppah is not the best option for you if:
- You have dentures, bridges, crowns or loose teeth
- You are not comfortable with tolerating the adjustment period
Zyppah and the 90-day money-back policy
Zyppah provides its customers with a 90-day money-back policy. It is useful if you did not manage to mold correctly your device, as the manufacturer will offer a replacement free of charge. Anyhow, you will receive your money back, without any questions.
Some items come with a 30-day policy and we believe this is not enough for some customers to get used and adapt to the device. This is why Zyppah is considered to be the best on the market. It offers its customers an extensive amount of time to establish if the product is effective for their issue. In addition, they provide a $20 coupon if you re-order within six months of your initial purchase.
You can use this tool with bridgework or missing teeth, yet it is not recommended for usage with full dentures.
Altogether, this anti-snoring device was effective in dealing with snoring from the opinion of the sleep partner. Besides the jaw soreness that occurs as soon as you position the device, a bit of drooling and gag reflex, our colleague managed to get accustomed to this device.
The cost for a Zyppah anti-snoring tool is $99.95 and it comes with the 90-day money-back policy.
For whom we believe the Zyppah Mouthpiece will be beneficial?
We recommend this anti-snoring device for male snorers who deal with tongue-related snoring, as it permits mouth breathing. But if we take into account the durability of this item, we believe is rather costly if we compare it to similar items. But
- If you tested affordable versions that turned out to be ineffective, it might be a sign that you are in need of stronger tongue support.
In most situations, the tongue strap is the one that does not function properly, meaning it will be a small price to pay for a tool that deals with this issue.
Even though the Zyppah anti-snoring device mingles a MAD with a tongue suppressor, it appears to feature some problems.
A couple of customers commented about its durability, price and comfort. But at the same time, other customers were very pleased with this anti-snoring tool. They affirm it aided them in dealing with snoring.
It is possible to function great for your situation. You might even end the banishment to the spare room or the couch. And the best thing about it, is that you can test it for 90 days and access the money-back policy if it is not effective.